Few things are as frightening as a semi-truck accident. They happen fast, cause immense amounts of damage, and threaten your life and the lives of your passengers. On top of that, you have to deal with the traditional post-accident hassle of swapping insurance information, personal details, and driver license numbers. It can be a frustrating time, to say the least.
To help you through this harrowing ordeal, we’ve created a step-by-step guide for handling the post semi-truck accident process. Follow these to have an easy, successful insurance claim.
- Call the police. One of the biggest pieces of evidence in a truck accident claim is the police report. It offers an unbiased third party look at how the accident occurred, and lists details like the time of day, road conditions, and even contact details for eyewitnesses.
- Write down important information. If you’re able to, take a few minutes to write down important facts about the wreck. Get the driver’s license plate number, any trucking companies listed on their vehicle, and their DOT number. You’ll also want to jot down anything you remember about the incident itself.
- Take photos. If you have a camera on hand (or a phone with a camera), snap a few photos of the accident scene. Be sure to capture any damage done to you or your car, and take pictures of the truck, the roadway, skid marks, or any other notable items.
- See a doctor immediately. Even if you feel fine, see a doctor as soon as possible for a full evaluation. If you don’t go until later, the insurance companies may have reason to think your injuries are the result of some other incident. If you want to be sure to receive compensation for any treatments and hospital bills, immediate medical attention is crucial.
- Contact a lawyer. Finally, contact a lawyer who is experienced in semi-truck accidents. They’ll be able to help you along the way, and ensure you get the money you deserve from the wreck.
Were you in a semi-truck accident? Contact an attorney at the Snow Law Firm today. We’re here to help.