San Antonio Truck Accident Lawyer: The Dos and Don’ts of Filing a Claim
As an experienced San Antonio truck accident lawyer, I’ve learned that car and semi-truck wrecks are starkly different on all levels. Not only do trucks cause immensely more damage than cars, but they also result in more complicated, time-consuming and difficult claims. In fact, if a driver isn’t careful, they can actually end up being blamed for a truck accident they didn’t cause!
To help my truck accident clients be more successful, I’ve pulled together this handy list of dos and don’ts. Follow these, and you’ll be on your way to a profitable and easy claim:
- DON’T apologize when talking to the driver. This is considered admitting fault, and it can end up costing you your claim.
- DO take notes about the accident, get the driver’s information, and take photos if possible. These can all provide valuable insight into the accident.
- DON’T sign a settlement or verbally agree to one without having it looked over by a lawyer first. You need to make sure you’re getting enough compensation to cover your damages, injuries and more.
- DO have an idea of what you’re owed. Insurers will often undercut victims on settlements. Make sure you know what your costs are, so you can evaluate settlement offers properly.
- DON’T talk to an insurance agent or agree to a recorded statement. The truck driver’s insurer only wants to catch you in an awkwardly worded sentence, so never talk to them or give a statement without consulting a lawyer first.
- DO call the police after the accident has occurred. The police report is often the most valuable piece of evidence there is. It provides a third-party, unbiased account of the wreck that can help clients immensely time and time again.
- DON’T waste time. Truck drivers and employers are notorious for destroying evidence, particularly their log books and employee files, items that could incriminate them and make them appear to be at fault for the wreck. The more time you waste in acting, the more time they have to destroy evidence and hurt your claim.
- DO hire a San Antonio truck accident lawyer as soon as possible. They’ll handle all communication with the insurer and the driver, and they’ll make sure no evidence is destroyed before your claim is processed.
Were you recently in a truck wreck? Then follow these dos and don’ts, and contact a San Antonio truck accident attorney at the Snow Law Firm today.